Early in my training as a church historian, I learned the important fact that here in the West, pretty much everything has a Christian history. So I wasn’t surprised to find that New Years resolutions are rooted in old Christian practices too. Here’s what I discovered about the subject. Enjoy, and Happy New Years!
Thanks for visiting my historical playground!This blog contains more than 600 posts as of Sept. 2013 (also over 235,000 views and 1,050 comments since inception in June 2010). If you read something you like, odds are there are at least one or two other posts dealing with similar topics. Which is why there's a search box right below this message. :)
Find posts by search term(s)
What folks are reading most lately
- "St. Patrick's Breastplate"--original poem and hymn
- The crusades: Step by step through a spectacular mess
- C S Lewis's dark night of the soul
- Medieval images and doctrines of hell
- Words in the King James Version that now mean something else: Have you ever run across these and wondered what they meant?
- "HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed! Come and see the violence inherent in the system!"
Browse a category with this dropdown list
- African-American Christianity Anglicanism apologetics Aristotle asceticism Augustine Augustine of Hippo Authorized King James Version Benedict of Nursia Bible biography black church Boethius Catholic Church Charles Williams Christian history Christian History magazine Creation C S Lewis Dante Dante Alighieri Dorothy L Sayers Dorothy Sayers Early Christianity early church economics education embodiment emotion ethics Eucharist evangelicalism faith and reason Francis of Assisi G K Chesterton Gregory the Great healing history hospitals Incarnation John Wesley Jonathan Edwards J R R Tolkien literature Martin Luther medicine Medieval Methodism Middle Ages missions monasticism morality moral philosophy Moravianism new monasticism Pentecostalism philosophy Pietism poverty Protestantism Roman Catholicism Saints sanctification scholasticism science sin social justice Spirituality story Theology the poor Thomas Aquinas Tradition vocation work
- 266,306 hits