If you’d like to check out Christian History & Biography in audio download format, check out this page. Christian Audiobooks is offering nine issues of the magazine, on subjects from Christianity and Islam to top events in church history to J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis, for $8.98 per download.
Thanks for visiting my historical playground!This blog contains nearly 700 posts as of July 2016 (also over 386,000 views from 121,000 unique visitors and 1,140 comments since inception in June 2010). If you read something you like, odds are there are at least one or two other posts dealing with similar topics. Which is why there's a search box right below this message. :)
Find posts by search term(s)
What folks are reading most lately
- Martin Luther's Anfechtungen--his own dark nights of the soul, and how they affected his teaching and ministry
- C S Lewis's dark night of the soul
- The darker side of the chief King James Bible translator, Lancelot Andrewes
- Medieval monasteries in the history of hospitals
- Preacher in the hands of an angry church: the fall of Jonathan Edwards
- Wise words on reforming our churches and ourselves: Philipp Jakob Spener's Pia Desideria, pt. I
What we’ve been talking about lately
- Getting medieval on modern Christianity: Announcing a June 2017 conference
- A last-minute Christmas gift suggestion :)
- Medieval scholastics’ use of Scripture: Explaining what can be explained, but no more
- Interview on Scot McKnight’s Jesus Creed blog
- How was C. S. Lewis influenced by the medieval era?
- Young, restless, and immediate: The future of evangelicalism
- Medieval stupidity? Works-righteousness? Monastic uselessness? Getting beyond the caricatures
- Medieval wisdom and the case for tradition
- The material world: good, bad, or . . . ?
- The book is out! So here’s a link to a whole website about it, and an interview clip introducing it . . .
- 10 Things You Don’t Know about the Clapham Sect
- Jake Gyllenhaal’s Nightcrawler – parable for a broken marketplace
- Next steps and resources in faith, work, & economics for church leaders
- Where do we begin to understand our work in the light of our faith? Building a foundation for economic wisdom
- Let’s get practical: faith-and-work pointers for pastors and lay leaders
- Pastors and lay leaders, start where many of your people live: burnout and the “suckiness” of work
- If God really does work through our economic work – then what do we do about that?
- God’s beer mogul: A case study of Wesley-influenced economic action
- How and why John Wesley’s movement (Methodism) moved the market economy forward
- John Wesley’s message(s) on work and the economy
Browse a category with this dropdown list
- African-American Christianity Anglicanism apologetics Aristotle asceticism Augustine Augustine of Hippo Authorized King James Version Benedict of Nursia Bible biography black church Boethius Catholic Church Charles Williams Christ and culture Christian history Christian History magazine Creation C S Lewis Dante Dante Alighieri Dorothy L Sayers Dorothy Sayers Early Christianity early church economics education embodiment emotion ethics Eucharist evangelicalism faith and reason Francis of Assisi G K Chesterton Gregory the Great healing hospitals Incarnation John Wesley Jonathan Edwards J R R Tolkien literature Martin Luther medicine Medieval Methodism Middle Ages missions monasticism morality moral philosophy Moravianism new monasticism Pentecostalism philosophy Pietism poverty prayer Protestantism Roman Catholicism Saints sanctification scholasticism science sin social justice Spirituality Theology the poor Thomas Aquinas Tradition vocation work
- 416,984 hits